We've all got a "Mr. Right" check list that entails how we want our future Boaz to be. Someone nice, caring, maybe a little sensitive, too.
Sometimes we women tend to overpile that list, making it unrealistic. (Anybody remember TLC's Chili find-me-the-perfect-man-who-doesn't-exist reality TV show?) We allow simple, and often compromisable things to hold us back from love. This is NOT a good look, diva!
Though we all have our standards, here's a simple list of qualities you should think three times about before dumping your boo. Or, consider adding these qualities to your list (after omitting six or seven). Remember, quality over quantity!
- He's Loyal - You'd think this would go without saying but with the rising number of marital affairs, sideline baes, and boo thangs skirting in and out of relationships, loyalty isn't so common. Listen ladies: NEVER COMPETE WITH ANOTHER WOMAN OVER A MAN WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE KEPT! You'll never win. In most cases, you and the other woman (or women) will grow to hate each other so much that you'll forget that HE is actually in the wrong! Relationships can be trying; sometimes you go through things. Questioning your man's position and loyalty in your life shouldn't be one of those things. People are loyal to others because they trust and believe the other person won't betray them. His loyalty to you not only strengthens your trust in him, but his trust in you also. Loyalty + Trust = Respect. If your man is loyal, he's a keeper.
- He's Level Headed - You're a woman, so it's in your nature to be sensitive, vulnerable and emotional to a degree. At times, these emotions cloud your ability to make sound judgements on things in life that matter, like choice of friend, financial decisions, and legal encounters. A level headed and logical man has the ability to lead you when you need it most as he's probably heavily equipped with common sense. He'll help you through whatever you're going through and be a gentleman while doing it. These are the guys who have a great sense of stepping in to handle tough situations without being told to do so. (And they always know the right thing to say when you need to hear it most). If your man is level headed, he's a keeper.
- He Make YOU a Priority - This guy loves you! And he does everything he can in the world to show it - like making you #1 in his life. There's no worse feeling than being put on the back burner for your man's friends, family, etc. (the friends are the absolute worst, ugh). When you meet a man who geniuinely wants you in his life and makes strides to have you there, he's a keeper. Instead of wanting the one who doesn't want us, like we humans tend to do, pay attention to the one who actually cares and listens. Pay attention to the one who puts the world on hold when you enter the room. Pay attention to the one who proudly makes you their PRIORITY and not their option!
- He Supports You - Being supported financially is a plus. But being supported emotionally, creatively and spiritually are pretty special, too. As ambitious and optimisitic as I am, it's VERY important that my man support my dreams and ideas. To have that extra boost of confidence from your man in your corner is like Heaven on Earth. That "baby I got your back" vibe is extremely sexy! His support means he believes in you and sees what you see (or don't see) in yourself. He'll be there to help bring your dreams to reality and so much more.
- He Believes in & Supports HIMSELF - Every thinking woman wants a man who takes care of himself. Why? If he can take care of himself properly, he'll do the same for you! I like a man with potential. But I love a man who actually achieves his potential. Imagine 20 years down the line - would you want to be with the boss or the almost there employee? This is also a good quality because A) he'll constantly support and encourage you in your endeavors and B) he'll be a helluva example for your children together. (Think future, girl). Think of powerful men like Denzel, Jay Z, Will Smith, Diddy. Attractive, right?
- He's Spiritual - Last, but not least, spirituality in your man is a must. More times than not, if he's spiritual, he'll care about your spirit, too. Religion isn't as important to me as being spiritual is. A Godly relationship is critical in being the head of household. Without it, there's merely just some confused man living in your house. Get to know if your man has an honest relationship with God. If he does, not only will you get these 6 qualities out of him but so much more.
Now, is that real girl talk or what?